|The Hospitality Club is the world's largest hospitality exchange organization. We are thousands of friendly members world wide who offer each other free accommodation when traveling. Membership is free and joining just takes a minute - we would love to have you onboard!|
|Info about Siauliai, Lithuania|
Siauliai Travel Guide
Login to edit Login to view History
· Lithuania is situated on the Baltic coast and borders Latvia in the North, Belarus in the East, Poland and Russia in the South. The major part of Lithuania is flat, but the Eastern part of the country is more hilly. The highest point is Juozapine, 294 m above the sea level. The geographical centre of Europe lies 24 km North of Vilnius.
CLIMATE · The climate is maritime along the coast and continental with cold winters in the eastern part of the country. The highest temperature in Siauliai is +30.1° C in July, but in spite of this don't forget a pullover. The lowest temperature is-22.7°C in January. The average amount of precipitation is 53.8 mm.
Meteorological station information tel. 433831
TIME · Local time is standard European time (+1 GTM).
CURRENCY · The Lithuanian currency, 'Litas' is usually abbreviated as 'Lt'. The smaller unit is 'Centas' (ct).
· Lithuanian is the official language. It is an Indo-European, non- Slavic and non-Germanic language and is similar only to Latvian. Lithuanian has retained of the old vocalic system and more morphological features than any other living Indo-European language.
· English and Russian are widely spoken. English and German are common among business people.
· The majority of the population are Catholics although there are other religious groups like Protestants, Evangelical Lutherans and Baptists, the Russian Orthodox Church, Islamic and Judaic religions.
The Churches in Siauliai
St. Petras and Paulius Cathedral
Address: Ausros av. 3, tel. 41 430628
St. Ignacas Lojola Church
Address: Vilniaus st. 245, tel. 41 437600
St. Jurgis Church
Address: Kraziu st. 17, tel. 41 430768
Church of Immaculate Conception of the Most Holly Virgin Marija
Address: Aido st. 8, tel. 41 416116
St. Petras and Povilas Ortodox Church
Address: Rygos st. 2/2a, tel. 41 432910
CALLS TO LITHUANIA
· The country code to Lithuania is (+370).
· When dialing long distance in Lithuania, dial 8 (wait for the dial tone) and then the area code. Some area codes when calling within Lithuania:
Siauliai - 8*41, Vilnius - 8*5, Kaunas - 8*37, Klaipeda - 8*46, Panevezys - 8*45
· Fire brigade 01; police 02; ambulance 03;
Telephone calls at public phone booths are payable by phone card, which can be obtained at any newspaper stand and in tourism information centre, Vilniaus str. 213, Šiauliai.
Edited by: ceslovas on 14.06.2004
|Last postings about Siauliai Lithuania from other users
There is not much here, except railway (it is the oldest railway station in Lithuania). Despite, outside the city there are few outdoors museums and old palaces and windmills. You can also reach Siauliai or Hill of Crosse form here easily.
Hill of croses
I live in Lithuania. It's one of the nices post soviet countries with communicative people