It is worth visiting Malopolska in order to understand Polish history and tradition and to see the beauty of Polish nature. Krakow, the former capital of Poland, is just a hundred kilometres from the ridges of the Tatra Mountains and the picturesque Beskidy and Gorce Mountains. Where else if not in Malopolska will you find so many grand manor houses, churches, ruins of castles and charming towns? Add to this the virgin forests, the swift mountain rivers, the curious rocks - world-scale rarities.
At present, the Malopolska Region (province) is divided into 19 districts and 3 municipal districts, which in turn consist of 182 communes, and it covers an area of over 15,000 square kilometres, which constitutes some 5% of the area of Poland.
Top Things to See and Do
- Krakow - city/The UNESCO World Heritage List
- Kazimierz - jewish district in Krakows old town
- Nowa Huta - town near to Kraków, built in 60', "socreal" architecture
- Wieliczka - salt mine/ The UNESCO World Heritage List
- Zakopane - main town in Polish Tatra mountains
- Kalwaria Zebrzydowska/ The UNESCO World Heritage List
- Beautifull castels in small towns in Małopolska, f.ex. Pieskowa Skala, Niedzica, Czorsztyn, Niepolomice, Ojcow, Sucha Beskidzka
- The former death camps Auschwitz-Birkenau built by German Army during second war /The UNESCO World Heritage List
- Wooden architecture path(Binarowa - St. Michael the Archangel's Church ,Debno - St. Michael the Archangel's Church, Lipnica Murowana - St. Leonard's Church , Sekowa - SS. Philip and Jacob the Apostles) /The UNESCO World Heritage List
- Chabowka Open Air Museum of Trains and Railways
- many other places !
- Babia Góra National Park + Babia Góra - Beautiful and capricious queen of the Beskidy Mountains
- Gorce National Park - The Turbacz and multicolour meadows covered with spring flowers - good start-point is Rabka-Zdroj or Nowy Targ
- Ojców National Park - The Cudgel of Hercules, Bats and Caves
- Pieniny Mountains National Park - Unforgettable Rafting Down The Dunajec Gorge And A Spectacular Panorama From The Summit Of Trzy Korony ("Three Crowns")
- Tatra Mountains National Park - Enchanting Scenery Of Morskie Oko, Winter Sports On The Kasprowy Wierch , heighest mountains in Poland
- Magura National Park - Mona Lisa of the Polish mountains :)
U should see links:
----> Malopolska Gateway
----> internet map
----> Kraków official site
A view over Sukiennice on Market Square
A view to the Wielopole Street in Kraków
- Śląsk - on west, industrial area here
- Podkarpackie - on east, rural, beautifull, wild area here
- Świętokrzyskie - on north, area of hills and small mountainshere
- Czech Republic and Slovakia - on south, our neighbours: slovak or czech speaking, easygoing, nice people.
See Prague in Czech Rep.!here
See Cergov - very beautifull, wild mountains!here
It is easy to travel in Malopolska by buses or mini-buses. It is quite fast and quite cheap. Almost every single village has mini-bus/bus connection with Cracow. Timeteble of buses you can find here: www.rozklady.com.pl .
Travelling by trains is much more difficult. Trains do not go so often and they are not so fast!!! Timetable you can chceck on www.pkp.com.pl .
Who is coming? Just add your user name and basic info (date and places you will visit) about your trip here, maybe other members will invite you or meet up with you on the road. Use your profile to tell more about your plans.
Hospitality Club Meetings
If you would like to invite other members to an activity or meeting, add the info here. You can use the Travel Guide for more detailed info.
Edited by: marqoos on 18.10.2005 gagatka on 11.06.2005 gagatka on 20.05.2005 gagatka on 14.05.2005